Saturday, April 18, 2009

Alice Christie

Alice Christie's website provides an Educational Technology Guide that can be used in every classroom. The website provides links to resources that will help any teacher figure out how to use a specific technology in her classroom. It included digital photography, blogs, podcasts, art technologies, and research.

I explored all the links to the different technologies and read how each could be used in my classroom. I even read about twitter, which is what my EDM class is learning the relevance of. Basically, the whole website could help me put technology in my classroom. I found myself more interested in the research portion of the website, where it listed readings for teachers. I read several articles about the importance of technology and how traditional methods are becoming less relevant. Since I am trying to become a teacher this is what I spent most of my time on, learning why it is important so that it comes natural for me to incorporate many forms of technology learning.

I liked her powerpoint on the changing face of technology. She said that the future involves a shift from teacher centered learning to student centered learning. I liked what she said about obtaining information. The internet and learning websites or programs offer a broad spectrum of information. Not only will students be obtaining information, they will have to judge that reliability of it. It is important to question sources, even authority. The research process allows for more critical thinking verses one view from a text book. She used a model to guide students through finding sources called CARS;
Credibility, Accuracy, Reasonableness, Support. Given the opportunity, I will use this model.

No comments:

Post a Comment